Christopher Moersch, Ed.D. and LoTi, Inc.
*Note: TONS of great stuff in the back of the room free from NSDC on training in the 21st century
Defining 21st Century Classroom- listed Partnership for 21st Century skills
Showed video from CoSN on 21st Century Superintendents- my favorite quote:
"Moving from good to great is such a quantum leap, technology plays a significant role."
5 C's of Instructional Leadership
- Cultivation- (Coach Carter) high expections are the key to everything; Ariel Community Academy (Chicago Public Schools)- every classroom is endowed with $20,000. By the time they reach 8th grade, they donate half their profits to charity. 88% of students exceed state standards in math. Students are exposed to the financial literacy curriculum starting in Kindergarten. Students are taught all aspect including international/global financial markets. 8th graders apply what they learn about marketing and business by writing business plans. Long term partnership with the community and businesses!
- Courage to Stay the Course- (Dead Poets Society) requires commitment to a plan-implementation cycle: Assess-Plan-Implement (http://www.lotilounge.com)- Sustain (HEAT walkthroughs); use systems thinking for your guide to continuous improvement
- Creating Solutions to Potential Barriers/Problems- (The Firm) http://www.270towin.com (will show you how states have voted over the past few decades)
- Commitment to research best practices- (Freedom Writers) the difference between involvement and commitment is like a ham and eggs breakfast: the chicken was involved, the pig was committed
- Communication with all key stakeholders-(Braveheart) web 2.0 tools
Implementing the 5C's gets results. Loti Schools have research backing on test scores!
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN WITHOUT 21ST CENTURY LEADERSHIP! May the LoTi be with you!