Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Invincible

As I was doing my daily 45 minute ride home from work today, I had my iPod playing in the car- jamming out to a little Pat Benatar. (I have regressed to the 80's!) In screaming out the words to Invincible, I became aware that it was relevant to our students today. The lyrics:

We can't afford to be innocent
Stand up and face the enemy
It's a do or die situation
We will be invincible
And with the power of conviction
There is no sacrifice
It's a do or die situation
We will be invincible

Won't anybody help us?
What are we running for?
When there's no where we can run to anymore

I was reminded that to many students, especially those who are struggling or who have to unplug at school, school has become a battle (we will save the "Love is a Battlefield" lyrics for another post). In so many schools, there is no one to fight with them- no one who understands what it means to be plugged in, socially networked, and technology literate. It is scary for students because they are facing a future that is unknown and they have no support (or little).

Hopefully, there are enough student leaders and a few of us adults who will help all students become INVINCIBLE.

0 comments: